“CAMRA's mission is to act as champion of the consumer on relation to the UK and European beer & drinks industry.
It aims to:
- maintain consumer rights
- promote quality, choice and value for money
- support the public house as a focus of community life
- campaign for greater appreciation of traditional beers, ciders and perries as part of national heritage and culture”
Do you think it is right that about 36 pubs are closing every week?
Join CAMRA today to help make a difference!
About 36 pubs close every week and most of these are local community pubs which are often run down by their owners and turned into private houses for a quick profit. Many communities no longer have a pub and CAMRA is acting through initiatives such as the Community Pubs Foundation and Pub is the Hub to stop unnecessary pub closures. The next one under threat could be your local!
9 out of 10 pints served contain less than 100% liquid.
Consumers lose over a million pounds a day due to short measure! We are lobbying the Government to change the law so you get what you pay for - a full pint every time.
6 out of 10 pubs are prevented from serving a guest beer of their choice.
Two thirds of pubs are restricted to selling beers brought from the brewery or pub company to which they are tied. CAMRA is campaigning for the introduction of a guest beer law which will give licensees the right to serve a guest beer of their choice and will improve the accessibility of real ale in British pubs.
CAMRA, the Campaign for Real Ale, is a consumer group that was formed in 1971 to campaign to keep real ale alive. years later we now have discerning members and there are now more than 700 real ale breweries brewing over 2,500 different varieties of real ale in Britain.
We have had many successes over the years which include:
- Being instrumental in allowing pubs to open longer to suit the local community.
- Running a powerful campaign that helped the introduction of small brewers' relief which enabled many small breweries to invest money into their operations and become more viable.
- Working with many local communities to save hundreds of community pubs from closure.
- Organising over 150 beer festivals a year including the Great British Beer Festival, which saw over 65,000 people visit this year at Earls Court.
- Having over 5,000 volunteers who give up their time to survey pubs, work at beer festivals and actively campaign for real ale and pubs.
To read about more of CAMRA's successes please visit www.camra.org.uk
Join CAMRA today!
If you care about these issues and would like to help make a difference then join CAMRA today! For less than £1.70 a month you can join members across Britain and help to campaign for quality real ale and good pubs. As a member you will also receive the following:
- A monthly colour newspaper informing you on beer and pub news and detailing events and beer festival around the country
- Reduced entry prices to over 150 beer festivals, including the Great British Beer Festival.
- Chance to join CAMRA / Brewery Complimentary Clubs that are exclusive to CAMRA members. These clubs offer members a variety of promotions including free pint vouchers, brewery trips, competitions and merchandise offers.
- Discounts on CAMRA books including the Good Beer Guide
- Plus much more
To join today, visit www.camra.org.uk/joinus or call our HQ on 01727 867201.